Tuesday, March 30, 2010

The widow on water and fire

"Personally, I want to be cremated. Studying water's boiling taught me how clean it'd all be. Fire will just have a conversation about you and with you, a real thorough conversation, I admit. You'll meet fire. Fire will take a shine to you. You're its subject. What will it say about you before it loses interest? I know how, in a quiet morning house, water makes party sounds, the angels of the elements all up and gossiping at dawn. Another-day-in-the-world's shoptalk ... Child, I sure miss boiling my daily own. You know what water is? Water's family." pg. 39

How can you guys not want to read this book? This is nice talkin'. Help me out here!

6 comments:

  1. What a great book choice! I can't wait to read it. Have you heard the author speak anywhere before?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No! But I'm looking forward to it. Also exciting that he'll be reading from his new book. Have you read this one, Melia? I'm dying to talk about it with someone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yesterday, I was reading the chapter that features the pocket watch while riding to work. One of those days when I had to try not to cry on my vanpool. Beautiful and sad, to be sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just read that chapter last night. Kids in war, obviously not thinking much about Bigger Causes. I'm wondering what's going to happen with that watch, though ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. The watch story is just great. I've just finished reading the section about his long long struggle regarding returning the watch, and what happened once he determined he had to take it in person -- and admit to being the one who killed its owner. Such a trip that was, you could sure feel his stress. I look forward to seeing if the Utts reappear in the story, and in what capacity.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Does anyone think he should have taken "Simon's" advice in his own head and just kept silent about killing Simon, let Simon's family stay happy? Where would be the harm?

    ReplyDelete